- 2 pounds rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pint fresh strawberries, quartered (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick oats
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, cold
This crisp topping is spiked with ginger for a delicious change of pace.
1. For Filling: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons flour. Pour into a 9-inch pie dish.
2. For topping: In food processor, pulse 1 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and salt until combined. Add butter pieces; pulse until dough holds together in clumps. Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit, mounding slightly in the center. 3. Bake 1 hour, until topping is lightly browned and fruit is bubbling. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Tip: Rhubarb is best when it's fresh from the field in spring or summer. Hothouse rhubarb's flavor pales in comparison. Be sure to cut the rhubarb into small pieces so it cooks through.
Recipe from " Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook."