Makes 12 muffins
Simple and satisfying, these muffins make a healthy breakfast.
- 2½ cups All-Bran cereal
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey or molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1¾ cups plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 small apple, peeled and cut into chunks
- ¾ cup granulated sugar tossed with 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a standard muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In food processor, pulse 2 cups of the cereal until finely ground. (Reserve remaining cereal.) In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt until combined. In another large bowl, whisk egg and extra yolk until light in color. Whisk in brown sugar, honey or molasses and vanilla, then melted butter. Whisk in yogurt until combined. Fold in ground cereal until blended.
- Gently fold in flour mixture, unground cereal and apples just until batter is combined. Do not overmix. Drop batter into prepared muffin cups. Batter should fill cups and mound on top. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar over top of muffins.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Run a knife around muffin edges to release fro pan. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Click here to buy a copy of Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook!