Best Banana Bread
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
Makes 1 loaf
Toasting walnuts adds a nice crunch to this super-moist bread. Just spread the nuts out on a baking sheet and place in a preheated 350° F oven for 10 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly butter bottom and sides of a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan; lightly coat with flour.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, mash bananas with sour cream or yogurt until blended. In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer on high speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. 3. Fold banana mixture into batter until blended. Lightly fold in dry ingredients and walnuts until just combined. Batter will be chunky. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake about 1 hour, until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pan to loosen bread. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Tip:
The riper the bananas, the better the banana flavor.
Recipe from " Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook."